Friday, December 5, 2008

Christmas Preparations

When I came back from break, I was psyched to put up Christmas decorations. My mom had bought me a three foot plastic Christmas tree and lights and ornaments to decorate it. I arrived to find my roomie armed with a Christmas lava lamp and little sticky decorations to stick on our mirrors and microwave. We were off on our Christmas journey to festoon our dorm room with wonderful decorations. I pulled out the Christmas tree and set it up to its regal height while my roommate showed me the special optical effects her red lava lamp. She then set to wrapping the Christmas lights around the lifeless evergreen, and I came over to aid her in encircling the tree with the last of the lights. Perched on the limbs, the lights seemed to float effortlessly, seemingly not touching the tree. Afterwards, she pulled out the sticky Christmas window decorations and split them up between her, me, and the microwave. Like a professional runner, Maris must have had a record time in speed when it came to decorating the microwave. She placed a red and white hat on the microwave first, then a red oval nose, and a white mustache and beard to accompany the rest of the facial structures. The small black eyes were last, and, once it was complete, it resembled the finest miniature, bodyless, black Santa anyone could imagine. Our microwave is black, and since the manufacturers didn't provide skin for Santa, he took on the ebony hue of our appliance. Santa couldn't remain alone though, so we added holly and miniature Christmas trees to his place of residence. With the rest of the decorations, we created winter wonderlands from our mirrors. Maris's was a land of red bells, bright green-leaved and red-berried holly, and Christmas trees of various tints of green. Mine, on the other hand, contained a nation of green Christmas trees, holly, and blood red candy canes lined up across the sides of my mirror. Unfortunately, we didn't have metal hangers to put up the ornaments due to my own forgetfulness, so no ornaments adorn the tree. However, we have a wonderful handmade star with our names on it that was made by Michelle from down the floor. Its sharp orange outline and soft yellows make it the ultimate star, one that seems to resemble a person in its qualities. Christmas music is resounding around the room, compliments of Maris's iPod. If we only had gingerbread cookies and more presents under our Christmas tree, this would be a perfect Christmas!
The Christmas tree is set, and I am always thinking of ways to set up the rest of the room. I can imagine silvery tinsel enveloping our bed rails and a Christmas blanket draped across our futon, bright multicolored lights surrounding the doorframe and a wreath made of false poinsettia leaves and dark green holly leaves. The nice part about Christmas is the ability to keep decorating!

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Aw this sounds so cute Taylor! I want a little Christmas Tree. Our room isn't Christmas-ified at all. I forgot all of my decorations, not to mention all of my North Face stuff at home a couple weeks ago! Guess I'll just have to wait to decorate for Valentine's Day or something haha.