In terms of the children's success, I believe Zana Brinski did help them. By teaching them photography, she guaranteed them at least one portal into equality with others in the world. Considering that Avijit became a successful student in the United States, and the others are all currently learning new things and continuing their education, I would totally agree that they are finally getting the education they deserve. However, I don't completely agree with her methods. By exposing the children to the world, she took the risk of giving them no privacy once they grew up. Maybe the children didn't want so much attention? I think she was successful, though, and I'm pretty sure that the children are all thankful now for what she did.
Wednesday, November 19, 2008
Born into Brothels--Should Children Be Allowed to Decide If They Want to Be In a Documentary?
In the documentary, Born into Brothels, several children of prostitutes are filmed, and their lives are revealed through their own photography. A question is raised, however, about if it is "fair" to the children to be displayed to the whole world. I believe that it is the children's choice. If they wish to be seen by the whole world, then let them. I don't believe it is fair to their mothers and caretakers, though. They should be the ones to give consent to see inside their homes. The parents own the homes, so they should be the ones who control it. I think it would be fair to allow the children to show videos of school or of others around the neighborhood, but the parents should decide to let the cameras into their homes.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment