Sunday, November 30, 2008

Movies! Movies! Movies!

I have realized, since I returned home on Tuesday, that I haven't truly been up-to-date on my movies lately. I used to be the movie kid who, when asked, could name the relationship between two actors/actresses and what movies they had starred in. Unfortunately, my memory has been slipping a lot within the past two years, and I have trouble remembering people's names. Since I have arrived at Purdue, I haven't really had the chance to watch a bunch of movies like I did at home. Now, I'm behind, but I hope to catch up over winter break. 
On Wednesday, I saw Transiberian. It is a movie about a couple who are missionaries riding a train across Russia and Siberia to China. They get mixed up with their cabin mates, who are drug-traffickers. This leads to a struggle between the two couples. I stopped watching it about two-thirds of the way through because I lost interest.
The second movie I saw on Wednesday was Get Smart. It was funny. Maxwell Smart is a CONTROL analyst who is seeking a promotion to field agent. After the CONTROL headquarters are attacked, he becomes an agent and works with Agent 99, a woman who underwent plastic surgery after a bad fling within the agency. They are searching for CHAOS, a villainous group that plans on destroying the United States.
The third movie I saw was Tropic Thunder. It is about a group of actors that are slated to play a Vietnam War movie. Unfortunately, they are too amateur to play the parts, so the director decides to drop them into a forest in Vietnam where they will be recorded on video cameras, and the video footage will be spliced together to create the perfect film. The director is killed, and the actors are left on their own to find their way out of the jungle. It is funny, but in a stupid kind of way. I liked it.
Those are the movies I saw on Wednesday. I saw a BUNCH on Saturday, but I figured three was the perfect amount to talk about.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Hahaha.. sadly, I was never one of those movie kids, although I always envied those who were. I saw Get Smart the last time I was home. Strangely enough, I really enjoyed it. Steve Carell is a comic genius.

SomeCallMeTim said...

I've wanted to see Get Smart, it seems like a good humorous movie. I know several people who really like they guy who plays Maxwell Smart because of The Office. Just out of curiosity, what do you think of the Lord of the Rings movies?

Anthony Fontana said...

Sometimes you need a slapstick movie like tropic thunder to take your mind off things. especially after the movies we watch in english!

I had a friend back home that was a big movie buff. He was a huge critic of everything and I often used him to determine what movies I saw. Though he was very biased to certain films. he loved zombies, and anything that was a little strange and different from other movies. He picked movie of the year and two runner ups last year, and all my friends thought he was crazy cause none of us had seen any of them until they won.

Nice having people like you around to tell us what to see. sometimes I just don't want to make up my own mind.