Sunday, November 2, 2008
The Election
This year, I was very excited to be able to vote. Our high school history teacher would always stress how important it was to vote since the people control their leaders and their government through their choices of candidates. So, I went to the drivers' license facility in our little town, and I signed up to get a voter's registration card. Sure enough, it came a few weeks later through the mail. But not too long after, I lost my voter's registration card. I have searched all over for it, but I have been unable to find it. This partially influenced my decision not to vote. The major influence, however, is my lack of knowledge about the candidates' campaigns. I haven't devoted much time to researching their platforms, and I don't truly know what they are promoting. Yes, I see the commercials and flyers and chalked sidewalks, but I don't really understand what is going on in our economy and government. I am more of a science and math person, not politics. Anyway, I decided not to vote because I am ignorant of the issues in government, and my vote would be made for the wrong reasons. I currently don't really have the time or focus to vote, and it would be too late for registration, so, this year, I am not voting, despite the huge implications for gender and race in government it will have.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment