Saturday, November 8, 2008

The Questions I Would Have Asked Margaret Edson

     On Thursday, the "Margaret Edson Event" took place. Margaret Edson came to discuss the process of writing the play and vignettes were acted out in between her explanations. She explained how she wanted to make this play about grace and redemption. It was a struggle between her and her main character Vivian. Edson wanted her to become herself, the sensitive real person inside that tough, scholarly exterior. But Vivian didn't want to become that person. Edson told us that she controlled Vivian, even though Vivian struggled against her, and that Edson controls us, that we, the audience, are against her too. Vivian Bearing undergoes a transformation, morphing from a scholar seeking knowledge, to a woman in fear, to a beautiful woman in her original form (completely naked). 

     I was really surprised not to see Susie in any of the vignettes. I would have asked her about that, but she showed some surprise in it too. Otherwise, I didn't really have any questions. The whole experience made me understand the play better. I understand now that The Runaway Bunny was Vivian's transition into her real self. It was put into terms that she could comprehend ("an allegory of the soul"), and it allowed her to go peacefully. Overall, the experience helped me learn a little bit more about what is happening in the play and the author's intentions for the play.

No comments: