Sunday, October 19, 2008
Exams: Yay or Nay?
This year I have encountered several exams. Most recently, I took the engineering exam, and it was tough, considering I didn't know quite what to expect. Unfortunately, most of my exams are under 100 questions, especially the math and chemistry exams. Both exams had 20 questions. In my high school, each of our exams had 50 or more questions. Coming from such a small high school to a large university has made me realize each point counts. I tend to study more for these exams because I try to understand all of the material in order to score higher. As a result, I begin to wonder: Is this to make us learn more? By having fewer questions, which means a greater chance to miss more points in many cases, are we forced to learn more? Curved grading does occur many times, too, but I would think that it would push you to learn more, also. Because you might not know the extent of your classmates' intelligences, you try to learn more. This also makes me wonder if it's too much stress. By providing competition, faculty push people to retain more, causing stress to dictate people's lives. In the end, is it really worth causing health problems for students to pass classes? I believe college life shouldn't be the reason for poor health. I try to not worry so much about homework and exams, but sometimes, I just stress out, and it reflects poorly on those around me. On the other hand, I don't think I have ever worried about school so much before, and it has certainly taught me to work hard and study. All in all, I think it's a good balance to try not worry too much about homework. Get it done, and you won't have to worry about it. I hope it works for me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment