Monday, October 27, 2008

Why Does Internment Fascinate Me So?

When I listened to everyone's presentations, I realized that the internment of Japanese-Americans stood out to me the most. We briefly heard in history class that Japanese-Americans were forced into concentration camps, but I never realized that the conditions were so poor! In my mind, it had always been a comparison between the Japanese-Americans and the victims of the Holocaust, but once I listened to this presentation, I began to think about the internment of Japanese-Americans on a scale all its own. I never realized that they didn't get fed very much each day, had poor quarters, and were treated badly, and it made me sad to think that we would be willing to stoop to that level.
The basic gist of the topic was that the Japanese-Americans were treated poorly. They lived in small barracks, had little money for food, and had poor medical treatment. Hawaii didn't become involved in this display of racist passion, even though it had many Japanese-Americans in its population and was bombed by the Japanese. The German-Americans were also not rounded up and put into internment camps like the Japanese-Americans, even though they were more closely related to the cause of the war. The legal basis for the internment of the Japanese-Americans was brought into question, too. I also found it interesting that someone is going to research how the reparations are measured. Overall, I think it is going to be an interesting presentation. :)

No comments: