I don't exactly agree with Loewen. If you only provide the provocative details about a person, people tend to remember that they were "good" or "bad" based on their presidency. I believe that only the important details of a person's beliefs or administration should be provided. In high school textbooks, only the basics should be given, unbiased. However, interesting facts do help people remember names and facts. My high school teacher, Ms. Bodenhamer (Ms. Bo, for short), proved that. She told us about Nero, a Roman emperor whose reign included a controversy about the burning of Rome. His history included molestation by his uncle on a secluded island when he was younger. She narrated Nero's story to us two years ago in World History class. I still remember certain parts of his reign, but his victimization is what I associate with him the most.
I don't really have a hero in history. I do admire several people, but I don't want to BE them. One of the people I admire is Amelia Earhart. She became one of the greatest women in history despite the domesticated role of women in society in that era. I do know that she had her problems, but that is what makes her human. I read her biography several years ago, and I enjoyed reading about her accomplishments. Some of her low points included a noticeable closeness to her boss, George C. Putnam, even though he was married, and the alcoholism of her father.
Sunday, October 5, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment